Monday, May 9, 2011

new missouri QB


well it looks like the race for the QB spot is now done. Tyler Gabbert decided to transfer, leaving the job open for James Franklin. I'm actually pretty relieved, because of all the options he's probably the best fit. He seems to be able to run the spread offense of Mizzou fairly well. From the few games that I've seen him play in, I've noticed a few things.
Positive: he's really good under pressure in the red zone. They had to bring him in a few times this past season when Gabbert couldn't get the job done in the red zone. He's a great runner, and I think given time to get stronger he'll be able to break tackles really well. Granted the NFL doesn't particularly look for that in a QB, but he's only going to be a sophomore and has a few years to improve. Negative: he's got a pretty good arm, but it's not a "cannon" yet. Over this next season I believe that he'll be able to build that up. Aside from that I don't know a whole lot about him, because he's only made a few appearances. But, as a tiger football fan I'm relieved that he's got the job. His few appearances have been positive and I have confidence in his abilities to grow over the next season or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment