Tuesday, March 20, 2012

my racing exploits


So I came to the conclusion yesterday that if I end up being able to do the Disney World Half Marathon in January, I really want to "document my efforts" for the lack of a better phrase. I figure it might be fun for both myself and the whole whopping two of you who read this blog to follow my efforts from sign up day to race weekend...that came out narcissistic sounding. But I know that at least for myself I love following stories of people who are training for a race whether that be a triathlon/marathon/half marathon etc.

As a filler of sorts let me tell you about my current efforts in my training for my second TriZou. For those of you that don't know, the TriZou is a sprint triathlon here in Columbia, Missouri that's held on the first Sunday in May, which for this year is the 6th. Lately I've been using an indoor trainer for bike training simply because it's hard to find a good biking road here in Columbia that 1. doesn't have a million cars on it and 2. isn't filled with pot holes. But, hopefully I'll find a route soon and get out into the beautiful weather. The running is so-so; by far running is my worst discipline so I make a point to run either on trails or in very hilly places. This being because if the course is the same as it was last year than they choose a relatively flat 3 mile loop around the Vet School (as flat as you can get in Missouri). This year I know how to pace myself based on my performance last year. Last year I took everything pretty conservatively because I wasn't sure how quickly I was going to get tired. The main things I'm going to work on are:

1. The bike route is two loops, and I'm going to push myself a little bit more on the second loop.

2. The adrenaline made my swimming time much faster than normal, so now I know to line up with the 9.5 minute people (it's a 400 meter swim) instead of the 11 minute people.

3. I was actually fairly pleased with my running time at an average of a 9:40 mile, which for me is pretty darn good. Especially after swimming 400 meters and then biking up 4 giant hills for an hour. Now that I know the terrain of the running course, I'll know where I can pick up the pace a bit.

And if you wanna join me in the Disney Half Marathon. Here's the sign up page. Sign ups are April 10th at noon EST. Hopefully everything will work out and I'll be able to do it-so fingers crossed

No comments:

Post a Comment